Saturday, August 1, 2015

July 30, 2015 - "Will" "Would" "Shall" "Should"

Will/Would/Shall/Should

Will

Used to express desire, preference, choice, or consent:
·     I will eat my lunch at 2 p.m.
·     I will walk in the rain without an umbrella.
  • I will take this duty.
  • Will you stop talking like that?
  • I will visit my friend on my next vacation.
  • I will take the chocolate cake.
Used to express the future:
·     It will be hot and humid tomorrow.
·     I will go home after the lesson.
  • It will rain tomorrow.
  • The news will spread soon.
  • The war will end.
Used to express capacity or capability:
·     I will make cake.  It will be enough for ten people.
  • I will carry about 10 lbs. of luggage with me.
  • This bucket will hold two gallons of water.
  • This airplane will take 200 passengers.
  • This worker will work all day.
  • The other one won’t.
  • The folder will take/hold two books.
Used to express determination, insistence, or persistence:
·     She will get a driver’s license.
  • I will do it as you say.
  • He will get a job.
  • She will have a cup of coffee even though the doctor said she shouldn’t have caffeine.
  •  

Would (past form of will)

Often used in auxiliary functions with rather to express preference:
  • I would rather live in my country than live here.
  • I would rather go shopping today.
  • We’d rather say something than stay quiet.
  • I would rather stay home than go shopping.
Used to express a wish or desire:
  • I would like to graduate next year.
  • I would like to have one more pencil.
  • I would dance if they invite me to join them.
  • I would enjoy a barbeque.
  • I would like a cheesy pizza.
  • I would like to drink milk rather than water.
Used to express contingency or possibility:
  • If you travel today, I would travel next week.
  • If I were you, I would be so happy.
  • If it rains, I would stay at home.
Used to express routine or habitual things:
  • Normally, I would clean my kitchen until 10pm.
  • Normally, we would work until 6 p.m.; but tonight, we are leaving at 5 p.m.
  • The conference would happen annually (in August) in Syria.

Shall

Mainly used in American English to ask questions politely (it has more usages in British English). For the future tense, will is more frequently used in American English than shall.
  • Shall we go home?
  • Shall we dance?
  • Shall I go now?
  • Let’s drink, shall we?
  • Shall I get your coat?
  • Shall we visit them at the hospital?
Often used in formal settings to deliver obligation or requirement:
  • You shall brush your teeth before you go to bed.
  • You shall abide by the law.
  • There shall be no trespassing on this property.
  • Students shall not enter this room.
  • You shall take a nap.

Should (past form of shall)

Often used in auxiliary functions to express an opinion, suggestion, preference, or idea:
  • I should learn how to cook.
  • You should rest at home today.
  • I should take a bus this time.
  • He should be more thoughtful in the decision-making process.
  • I should take a nap (so that I won’t be tired this evening).
  • I should clean my house (before the guests arrive).
Used to express that you wish something had happened but it didn’t or couldn’t (should + have + past participle):
·     You should have seen it. It was really beautiful.
·     I should have completed it earlier to meet the deadline.
·     We should have visited the place on the way.
Used to ask for someone’s opinion:
  • Should we have steak for dinner tomorrow?
  • What should we do now?
  • Should we continue our meeting?
  • Should we go this way?
  • Where should we go this summer?
Used to say something expected or correct:
  • We should study English at home tonight.
  • There should be an old city hall building here.
  • Everybody should arrive by 6 p.m.
  • We should be there this evening.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------

Will

Used to express desire, preference, choice, or consent:
  • I will take this duty.
  • Will you stop talking like that?
Used to express the future:
  • It will rain tomorrow.
  • The news will spread soon.
Used to express capacity or capability:
  • This bucket will hold two gallons of water.
  • This airplane will take 200 passengers.
Used to express determination, insistence, or persistence:
  • I will do it as you say.

Would (past form of will)

Often used in auxiliary functions with rather to express preference:
  • I would rather go shopping today.
  • We’d rather say something than stay quiet.
Used to express a wish or desire:
  • I would like to have one more pencil.
Used to express contingency or possibility:
  • If I were you, I would be so happy.
Used to express routine or habitual things:
  • Normally, we would work until 6 p.m.

 


Will/Would Exercise

Top of Form
1. When I was a child, my parents (repeat) would repeat the same things again and again.
2. Ryan loved cooking ; he would help (help) me to prepare every meal.
3. We would take (took) a walk every afternoon, we couldn't do without it.
4. He is lucky, he will sleep (sleeps) anywhere.
5. They would invariably arrive (invariably arrived) at 4 p.m whether we liked it or not.
6. He would (read) the paper before lunch, it was a habit with him.
7. What a lazy man ! He  will sit (sits) there for hours doing nothing.
8. My friend and I think the same thoughts all the time.  We would inevitably speak (inevitably spoke) about the same subjects.
9. They would spend (spend) hours playing cards because they love playing.
10. He was a great talker. He  would speak (spoke) for hours and hours.
Bottom of Form


Read this funny story and fill in the verbs in the correct tense.
Choose from the following tenses and DON'T use contractions:
  • past simple
  • past continuous
  • present perfect
  • future simple
  • present continuous (for future)


Top of Form
One day a husband and wife  were driving (past continuous) (1) (drive) to the countryside to visit their friends when they realised they needed to stop for gas. The man was filling up the car when he (2) saw (simple past)  (see) a penguin standing by a pump. He (3)thought (simple past) (think) it was very strange and when he went to the cashier to pay, he asked, 'why is there a penguin standing next to the pump?' The cashier replied, 'I don't know. It (4)has been (present perfect) (be) there all morning.' The man replied.'Well, we can't leave it there, it's too dangerous. He might have an accident. What should I do?' The cashier suggested, 'you should take it to the zoo.' 'That's a good idea,' the man said. 'I (5)will (simple future) (take) him now.' So the man and his wife put the penguin in the car and (6) drove (simple past) (drive) away. One week later, the man and his wife (7) returned (simple past) (return) to the same garage to fill up the car...and the penguin was still in the car. When the man went to pay, the cashier said to him, 'I thought you (8) took (simple past) (take) the penguin to the zoo.' The man replied, 'we did. It had a really good time so tonight, we (9) are going to take (future) (take) him to a fish restaurant.'
Bottom of Form

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7vltnJsOw

 

 

  1) We _ leave now or we will miss the last train.

would
will
should
  2) _ we meet tomorrow morning?

Shall
Would
Should
  3) I _ like a cup of coffee, please.

should
will
would
  4) Do you think we _ tell Sarah about Peter?

should
would
will
  5) I _ probably spend the holidays with my family.

shall
will
would
  6) Danny _ prefer having the meeting next week.

should
would
will

 

Exercise
Correct the sentence and make the right use of will/would/shall/ should
1.  His function will/would have been over by now.
2.  She would / will have been reached by now if it had not traffic jammed.
3.  She would / will have been a very highly paid professor if she had not dropped the interview.
4.  My uncle would /will often be found sitting all alone on the sea-shore.
5.  I would rather/ would sooner keep quiet than argue with you.
6.  I would sooner/ would rather sift to another place than bear this much of problems.
7.  We should have / would have  a soft heart for the poor and needy.
8.  Should / would he apply next year, I would concede his claim.
9.  She should/ would be mayor next year.
10.                He should / would have taken more interest in his subject.
11.                He said that he would / should not start a new business.
12.                My father asked me “what would / should you do if you get a pass?”
13.                Shall / will we start now?
14.                Will / shall she be able to reach us on time?
15.                They would / will like to meet you in the party.
16.                I would / will like to catch  the earliest available train.
17.                You should / shall be glad to have the pleasure of his company.
18.                I really wish you would/ will come with me...

 -------------------------------------------------------



Will, would, shall, should
For each sentence, choose the best word or phrase to complete the gap from the choices below.
  • Key
  • Correct
  • Wrong
Top of Form
1.  The 1932 futuristic film Metropolis predicted that everybody _would____ live in high-rise buildings and work in factories. This has not exactly come true.
will B would C shall D should
2.  You look cold. __Shall___ I close the window for you?
would B will C shall D may
3.  We keep finding used coffee cups in the classrooms. _Would____ you please stop bringing coffee into class with you?
would B shall C should D may
4.  I'm really fed up with my neighbors. They _would/shouldn’t___ keep playing their music loudly after midnight.
will B would C shall D should
5.  It's six hours since our last meal. I should think the children _would___ be getting quite hungry by now.
would B should C will D shall
6.  This is your new office chair. Where shall I put it?
will B shall C would D might
7.  I really _wouldn’t_______ complain if we stopped doing this kind of exercise in the future.
won't B shan't C shouldn't D wouldn't
8.  No matter how nicely they ask me, I simply _won’t____ give money to that charity again. They give thirty percent of their funds to government officials.
shan't B won't C shouldn't D wouldn't
9.  When I left the company it was doing quite well but what no one realised was that the economic downturn _would_ force them out of business.
will B would C shall D should
10.                Now that mobile phones have become so cheap, soon no home _will__ ever need a landline to be connected.
will B would C shall D should
11.                When he was living in London, people _would____ often come up to him and ask him for directions as though he was English.
will B would C shall D should
12.                _Should_____ you encounter any difficulties with your homework, there is usually a teacher in the study room to help you.
Will B Would C Shall D Should
Bottom of Form




Will/Shall/Would video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7vltnJsOw

 

 

http://www.agendaweb.org/verbs/modals-shall-should-exercises.html






No comments:

Post a Comment