Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 29, 2015 - "Sleep" all tenses story; future tenses; review of "do" and "make"

Directions:  Please read the story and write down which form of “sleep” you see throughout the story.  See page 2 for all the forms of “sleep”.
"Well I see you are finally here, Cynthia." Carol said to her sister as the screen door banged shut. "Where have you been? I've been waiting and waiting for you. You said you would be here an hour ago. Remember? Three o'clock, not four o'clock?"
"I know," Cynthia answered, "I was too tired. Working night shift is just too much sometimes. When I got in bed this morning, I had it all planned, time-wise, I mean. I set my alarm clock and thought, now let's see, by two o'clock, 1) I will have slept (future perfect) 
Q:  For how many hours will you have slept by two o’clock?                      
for eight hours. That will be perfect. Eight hours will be plenty. Well ha, ha, sure didn't work right. Too many interruptions. When I sleep at night, 2) I sleep (simple present – habit) well. 
Q:  How do you  (usually) sleep at night?
Q:  Do you sleep well (at night)?
3) I have slept (present perfect- something happened in the past; something is true now because of that past event)
Q:  How have you slept (ever since Lennie moved out)?
Q:  Have you slept well recently?
well ever since Lennie moved out three years ago. But this daytime stuff, that's another story."
Carol cleaned up the kitchen sink while Cynthia continued, "I did go to sleep right away. 4) I was sleeping (past continuous  - an action that was in the middle of taking place) when Barbara walked by with that loud yappy dog of hers, and woke me up.
Q:  Were you sleeping when Barbara walked by…..?
Q:  What were you doing when Barbara walked by…?
Then I drifted off to sleep again, no problem. 5) I had been sleeping (past perfect continuous – action in the past for a duration of time when a 2nd action happens) for two hours when the phone rang for Molly, and woke me up.
Q:  How many hours had you been sleeping when the phone rang?
Q:  What had you been doing when the phone rang?
So then I got up and had a little bit to eat. Maybe the food was a mistake, I don't know. It took me a long time after the snack to go back to sleep."
"6) I had slept (past perfect – an event in the past that fully ended before a 2nd one happens) for three hours when Larry's motorcycle broke down in his driveway next door, and that woke me up.
Q:  What had you done before Larry’s motorcycle broke down?
Of course, Larry had to fix it right away, right there in the driveway. And as you know, he is not very good at motorcycle repair. Test, run the motor, retest, run it again, and all that. Well, when that happened, that was it. I tried, but I didn't go back to sleep after that. So 7) I slept (simple past – one event that finished) for five whole hours today, and only five hours, even though I am an hour late."
Q:  How long did you sleep today?
"Okay, okay, okay, I believe you, now can we get out the door here and on the way?" pleaded Carol.
"Sure, I have it all planned." Cynthia continued. "We're taking your car, so you can drive. I hope that if you glance over my way during the trip, you can truthfully say, I see that 8) Cynthia is sleeping (present continuous – happening now).
Q:  What is Cynthia doing?
Q:  Is Cynthia sleeping?
Or better yet, 9) Cynthia has been sleeping (present perfect continuous – duration happening now) for two hours."
Q:  How long has Cynthia been sleeping?
Q:  What has Cynthia been doing (for the past two hours)?
"Yes, right," Carol sighed. "If you had slept enough earlier, well, never mind. You just go right ahead and sleep the whole trip. In fact, I predict that 10) you will be sleeping (future continuous)
Q:  Will Cynthia be sleeping on the trip?
Q:  What will Cynthia be doing?
 when we reach the freeway, and that 11) you will sleep (simple future - prediction) for three hours. How's that?"
Q:  How long will Cynthia sleep on the trip?
"Oh wonderful," said Cynthia as she settled into the front passenger's seat of Carol's car. "Wake me up at Mom's house. By that time 12) I will have been sleeping (future perfect continuous) for three hours.
Q:  How long will you have been sleeping by the time we reach Mom’s house?
Oh joy, oh rest my weary soul. It's sleepy time, nighty night, Sis."
1)     future perfect                   7)    simple past
2)     simple present                 8)   present continuous
3)     present perfect                 9)   present perfect continuous
4)     past continuous              10)  future continuous
5)     past perfect continuous  11)  simple future
6)     past perfect                     12)  future perfect continuous



The forms of the verb “sleep” in the story are:

Simple Present 
(sleep)
Present Progressive (also called Present Continuous) 
(is sleeping)
Simple Past (slept)
Past Progressive (= Past Continuous) 
(was sleeping)
Simple Future (will sleep) 
Future Progressive (= Future Continuous) 
(will be sleeping) 
Present Perfect 
(has slept) 
Present Perfect Progressive (= Present Perfect Continuous) 
(has been sleeping)
Past Perfect 
(had slept)
Past Perfect Progressive
 (= Past Perfect Continuous) (had been sleeping) 
Future Perfect 
(will have slept) 
Future Perfect Progressive (= Future Perfect Continuous) 
(will have been sleeping)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Future Perfect Progressive (= Future Perfect Continuous) (will have been sleeping)

Future tenses –

Future Continuous – will be
         Ex: I will be playing the piano at the concert.
Future Perfect – will have + past participle
         Ex:  I will have played the piano at all the concerts.
Future Perfect Continuous – will have been + verb-ing
         Ex:  I will have been playing the piano for 10 years by 2025

Future Continuous –
1)  An action in progress at a specific time in the  future.
                 Ex:  They will be flying to Tokyo at this time
                          tomorrow.
2) Occasionally as an alternative to “going to” or “be doing”
    Ex:  Are you going to use the car this evening?
             Will you be using the car this evening?             I’m having dinner with Sue this evening.








Future Perfect – an action that will be completed in the future either:
a)  Before a specific moment, or
b) Before another action takes place
    Ex:  They will have left for Tokyo by this time tomorrow.
The film will have finished by midnight.
She will have done her homework by the time we arrive.
We will have painted the house by the time she returns.











Future Perfect Continuous
         An action that will have started, will have continued for some time, and will still be in progress in the future either:
a)  Before a specific moment, or
b) Before another action takes place

They will have been flying to Tokyo for a few hours by this time tomorrow.

The film will have been running for two hours by midnight.

She will have been doing her homework for several hours by the time we arrive.

We will have been painting the house all day by the time she returns.

      
  

Also:   Will vs. Be Going To

Will + infinitive
Be going to + infinitive
A decision at the moment of speaking:

Julie: There's no milk.
John: Really? In that case, I'll go and get some.
A decision before the moment of speaking:

Julie: There's no milk.
John: I know. I'm going to go and get some when this TV program finishes.
A prediction based on opinion:

I think the Conservatives will win the next election.
A prediction based on something we can see (or hear) now:

The Conservatives are going to win the election. They already have most of the votes.
A future fact:

The sun will rise tomorrow.
For promises / requests / refusals / offers:

I'll help you tomorrow, if you like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Future Tenses – which tense is it?
Choose the most appropriate answer.

Top of Form
1. Mary wants to speak with you. – Please tell her that I ______       her as soon as I'm free.
 will call will have called will have been calling

2. Let's meet at eleven o'clock tomorrow. – Sorry, I ______      at eleven o'clock.
 will be working will have worked will have been working

3. Say goodbye to Ann now. By the time you return, she ________      for New York.
 will be leaving will have left will have been leaving

4. By 2020, he ______      as the director of this company for thirty years.
 will work will be working will have been working

5. Why don't you ask Jim for help? I'm sure that he ________      you.
 will help will have helped will have been helping

6. Please don't ring the doorbell when you get here. My baby _________       .
 will be sleeping will have slept will have been sleeping

7. Where are you going to spend your vacation? – I don't know yet. Maybe we ________      to Italy next summer.
 will go will have gone will have been going

8. She promised that she _______  him about it.
 won't tell wouldn't tell won't have told wouldn't have told

9. Oh, you'll recognize him. He _____     a brown leather jacket and a red scarf.
 will be wearing will have worn will have been wearing

10. She buys too many things. She _____      all her money long before her next pay.
 will be spending will have spent will have been spending



No comments:

Post a Comment