Tuesday, July 14, 2015

July 14, 2015 - All Tenses Review; Book Exercises in Lesson 3 re: Simple Past and Past Continuous

Please put the correct tense next to the correct diagram.  Pick from these choices:
ANSWER KEY BELOW
Simple Past                                       Past Continuous                Past Perfect Continuous
Present Continuous                         Present Perfect
Present Perfect Continuous          Past Perfect



Simple Past
       
   I ate an apple in the morning (yesterday).










Present Continuous
   I am eating an apple (right now).










Present Perfect
      I have eaten an apple (before).










Present Perfect Continuous
I have been eating an apple for 5 minutes/since 8am.









Past Continuous
 I was eating an apple when they arrived.









Past Perfect
 I had eaten an apple before they arrived.









Past Perfect Continuous
     


I had been eating an apple for 5 minutes when they arrived.







Please match each one to the correct rule.   ANSWER KEY BELOW
1.      Simple Present                        A fact, habit, regular action.
I eat an apple every day.

2.      Simple Past                             A completed action at a specified time in the past.          
I ate an apple yesterday.

3.      Present Continuous                 A temporary action in progress at the present.   
I am eating an apple now.

4.      Past Continuous                      Action in progress in the past either a) when a shorter action                                                           took place, or b) at a very precise moment.
I was eating an apple when my friend called me.

5.      Present Perfect                        A completed action without a specified time in the past.
                                                 I have eaten an apple (before).

6.      Past Perfect                             An action that was completed in the past either a) before another
                                                action took place, or b) before a very precise moment.
                                                I had eaten an apple before they arrived.

7.      Present Perfect Continuous    An action that has already started and is still going on.
I have been eating an apple (for the past 5 minutes).

8.      Past Perfect Continuous        Action that had started, continued for some time, and was still in
                                               progress in the past either a) before another action, or b) before a                                                    very precise moment.
                                               I had been eating an apple when they arrived.




-----------------------------------------------------------------


Review 1
1.      Read each sentence.
2.      Which one has a present participle acting as an adjective?
3.      Which one has a past participle acting as an adjective?
Chaplin’s movies are interesting. Present participle (verb acting as an adjective).
We are interested in his movies. Past participle (verb acting as an adjective).
When you describe another person or thing, you use a present participle. (-ing)
When you describe how you feel, you use a past participle. (-ed)

Review 2
Write a sentence for each tense.
Simple Present 
Sentence             I eat chocolate (every day).
Structure             Subject verb (present)
Rule:                     fact, habit, regular action

Simple Past
Sentence             I ate chocolate yesterday.
Structure             Subject and verb (past tense)
Rule:                     A completed action at a specified time in the past.


















Present Continuous
Sentence             I am eating chocolate (now).
Structure             Subject/verb to be/verb-ing
Rule:                     A temporary action in progress at the present.





















Past Continuous
Sentence             I was eating chocolate when they arrived.
Structure             Subject/past form of verb to be/verb-ing
Rule:                     Action in progress in the past either a) when a shorter action took place,
                              or b) at a very precise moment.





















Present Perfect
Sentence             I have eaten chocolate.
Structure             Subject/verb have or has/past participle
Rule 1:  A completed action without a specified time in the past.


















Present Perfect Continuous
Sentence             I have been eating chocolate (for a long time today).
Structure             Subject/have or has/been/verb-ing
Rule:                     An action that has already started and is still going on.




















Past Perfect
Sentence             I had eaten chocolate before I left for work.
Structure             Subject/had/past participle
Rule:                     Action that was completed in the past either a) before another action took place,
                              or b) before a very precise moment.



























Past Perfect Continuous
Sentence             I had been eating chocolate for a while when they arrived.
Structure             Subject/had/been/verb-ing
Rule:                     Action that had started, continued for some time, and was still in progress in the past
                              either a) before another action, or b) before a very precise moment.























Review 3
Read the below.  Then:
1) say the passive sentence for each one
2) say the question for each one

Simple Present                                I eat cake (every day).                                   Subj/present tense
Simple Past                                      I ate cake (yesterday).                                   Subj/past tense 

Present Continuous                       I am eating cake (now).                                Subj/to be/infinitive of verb/ing
Past Continuous                             I was eating cake (yesterday).                     Subj/to be/infinitive of verb/ing

Present Perfect                                I have eaten cake (many times).                 Subj/has-have/past participle
Past Perfect                                      I had eaten cake (at her house before).    Subj/has-had/past participle

Present Perfect Continuous         I have been eating cake (for 5 mins).         Subj/has-have/been/pres part.
Past Perfect Continuous               I had been eating cake (since 2pm).               Subj/had/been/present part.


Video 3:10  All tenses    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jVz0D-KkY
Confusing tenses             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-CEgl0HPRg

Lesson 3 – Page 101 to Page 132 



Review 1
1.      Read each sentence.
2.      Which one has a present participle acting as an adjective?
3.      Which one has a past participle acting as an adjective?
Chaplin’s movies are interesting. Present participle (verb acting as an adjective).
We are interested in his movies. Past participle (verb acting as an adjective).
When you describe another person or thing, you use a present participle. (-ing)
When you describe how you feel, you use a past participle. (-ed)


Review 2
Read the below.  Then:
1) say the passive sentence for each one
2) say the question for each one

Simple Present                                I eat cake (every day).                                   Subj/present tense
Simple Past                                      I ate cake (yesterday).                                   Subj/past tense 

Present Continuous                       I am eating cake (now).                                Subj/to be/infinitive
                                                                                                                                             of verb/ing

Past Continuous                             I was eating cake (yesterday).                     Subj/to be/infinitive
                                                                                                                                             of verb/ing

Present Perfect                                I have eaten cake (many times).                 Subj/has-have/past 
                                                                                                                             participle

Past Perfect                                      I had eaten cake (at her house before).    Subj/has-had/past 
                                                                                                                           participle

Present Perfect Continuous         I have been eating cake (for 5 mins).         Subj/has-have/been/pres                                                                                                                             part.

Past Perfect Continuous               I had been eating cake (since 2pm).         Subj/had/been/present 
                                                                                                                         part.


Video 3:10  All tenses    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jVz0D-KkY
Confusing tenses             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-CEgl0HPRg




Book
Page 101 – Exercise 1 – Past Continuous
The Columbia was approaching Florida.
1.      Family members were waiting.
2.      The Columbia was traveling over Texas.
3.      It wasn’t travelling over Florida.
4.      It was returning to Earth after a successful mission.
5.      The astronauts were looking forward to seeing their families.
6.      Reporters were preparing to interview the astronauts.
7.      How many people were waiting?
8.      Where were they waiting?



Page 103 – Exercise 3 – Simple Past or Past Continuous
We were watching cartoons on TV when we heard the bad news.
1.      While the Columbia was returning to Earth, it disintegrated.
2.      My sister was sleeping when I woke her up to tell her about the incident.
3.      When my father heard about the accident, he was driving to work.
4.      My brother was watching a TV program when the disaster happened.
5.      While the Columbia was returning to Earth, family members were waiting in Florida.
6.      What were you doing when the accident happened?
7.      The Challenger was lifting off when it exploded in 1986.
8.      Many people were watching the Challenger liftoff when the accident occurred.



Page 104  and 105 – Exercise 4 – Simple Past and Past Continuous
1.      A reporter is interviewing a family in Texas after the Columbia disaster.
               A: What were you doing at 9 am on February 1, 2003?
               B: I was sleeping.  A loud noise woke me up.  I jumped out of bed and ran outside.  I saw my          husband outside. He was fixing our car.  We thought it was an earthquake.  Then we saw pieces    of metal on our property.  I was going to pick up a piece, but my husband told me not to.                 Instead we called the police. They told us not to touch anything.
2.      A reporter is interviewing a member of NASA after the Columbia disaster.

A:  How fast was the Columbia travelling when the accident happened?

B:  It was travelling at 12,500 m.p.h.  We were communicating with the Columbia when, suddenly, communication stopped.

A:  What did you doing when you realized that the crew members were lost?

B:  We notified the family members and the press.  Many of the family members were waiting at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida when the accident happened.

A:  What happened after that?

B:  An investigation began.  We started to look for the pieces of the shuttle and tried to understand the reason for the accident.

A:  Did you find all the pieces?

B:  No, of course not.  Many of the people of East Texas called to tell us about finding pieces on their land.  Hunters called (or were calling) to tell us that while they were hunting in the forest, they found (or were finding) pieces of metal.  We found enough pieces to come to a conclusion about the cause of the accident.

Page 106 and 107 – Exercise 5 – Simple Past and Past Continuous
I was walking to school when I saw a car accident.  The police came and gave a ticket to one of the drivers.
1.      I was getting ready for bed when someone came to my door.  I opened the door and saw my neighbor.  He was standing in front of me with a DVD in his hand.  He said, “I just rented a movie.  Would you like to watch it with me?”  I didn’t want to be impolite, so I said yes.  While we were watching the movie, I fell asleep.
2.      While the baby slept (or was sleeping), the babysitter watched (or was watching) TV.  Suddenly the baby started to cry, and the babysitter ran into the room to see what had happened.  She picked up the baby and started to rock her.  Then she put her back to bed.
3.      When I got home, my sister and brothers were watching TV.  I said, “I’m hungry.  Let’s eat.”  But they didn’t turn off the TV.  I started to cook dinner.  They all came into the kitchen to see what I was cooking.
4.      She listened (or was listening) to the radio while she worked (or was working) on the computer.  Suddenly she heard the news of a terrible accident.  She went to the TV to find out more information. 
5.      While Sam was driving, his cell phone rang.  He was talking on his phone when he had a car accident.  He hit a light post.  Fortunately, he was wearing his seatbelt, so he wasn’t hurt.
6.      When the storm began last night, we were watching a scary movie.  The lights went out, so we had to use candles.  While I was looking for matches and candles, my little brother suddenly entered the room with a flashlight and a scary mask.  He really scared me.
7.      While I looked for my gloves in a drawer, I found an old photograph of myself.  In this photo, I was wearing a silly looking bathing suit.  I can’t remember who took the picture. 
8.      I was typing my composition on the computer when suddenly we lost electrical power.  When the power came back on, I turned on the computer, but all my work was gone.  I know how important it is to save my work.  I went to save it on my flash drive, but I couldn’t find it.  So I lost everything and had to start all over.











No comments:

Post a Comment