Monday, July 20, 2015

July 20, 2015 - Overview of Modals, Day 1 of "The Recruit"

Monday ESL
Modal practice website





Advice – Should/Ought to/Had better – negative connotation
p. 148 Exercise 13
1. If you invite a friend to eat in a restaurant, you should arrive there first.
2.  If you bump into someone, you should say, “Excuse me.”
3. If you don’t hear or understand what someone says, you should say, “Could you repeat that please?”
4. If someone asks, “How are you?” you should respond/say, “Well.  Thank you for asking.  And you?”
5.  If you want to leave the dinner table while others are still eating, you should say, “Excuse me please.”
6.  If a woman with a small child gets on a crowded bus, you should give her your seat.
7.  If you’re invited to someone’s house for dinner, you should bring a gift.
8.  If you meet someone for the first time, you should introduce yourself.

p. 148 Exercise 14 – warning – had better/had better not
A:  Someone’s at the door.  I’ll go and open it.
B:  You’d better not open it if you don’t know who it is.
1.  A:  The caller wants my Social Security number.
B:  Do you know who the caller is?
A:  No.
B:  You’d better not give him your Social Security number then.
2.  A:  I got a letter about a sweepstakes.  Do you think I should enter?
B:  You’ve probably got nothing to lose.  But you’d better read the letter carefully to make sure that it’s legitimate.
3.  A: This offer says the deadline for applying is Friday.
B:  You’d better hurry.  You don’t have much time.
4.  (phone conversation)
A:  Hello?
B:  Hello.  I’d like to speak with Mrs. Green.
A:  Speaking.
B:  You are a winner!  You’d better act now or you might lose this offer.  You don’t have much time.
A:  You keep calling me and telling me the same thing.  You’d better stop calling, or I’ll report you.
5.  A:  You are the only person in the office who wears jeans.
B:  What’s wrong with that?
A:  You’d better dress appropriately, or you might lose your job.
6.  A:  I don’t like my supervisor’s attitude.  I’m going to tell her about it.
B:  You’d better not.  She might not like it.
7.  A: I typed my composition on the computer, but I forgot to bring a flash drive to save it.  I’ll just print it.
8.  (a driver and a passenger in a car)
A: I’m getting sleepy.  Can you drive for a while?
B: I can’t.  I don’t have my driver’s license yet.  You’d better drive for a while.

p. 152 Exercise 15
1.  If you put your name on a “Do Not Call” registry, companies may not call you.
2.  In the library, you may not speak/talk (loudly).
3.  During a test, we can write but we cannot cheat/talk/copy.
4.  Books, CDs, and DVDs are protected by law.  We are not permitted to copy them.
5.  In this building, we may not smoke.

p. 152 Exercise 16 – can/can’t    and    permitted/not permitted
note:  In many cases, you can use them interchangeably (either one is fine).
1.  Teenagers are permitted to drive.
2.  People under 18 can’t get married.
3.  Children are not permitted to work.
4.  Children are not permitted to see any movie they want.
5.  A married woman can’t get a passport without her husband’s permission.
6.  Teachers are not permitted to talk about religion in public schools.
7.  Drivers are not permitted to talk on a cell phone while driving.
8.  Students can’t write in their textbooks.
9.  People can freely travel.
10.                People can live anywhere they want.

p. 159 Exercise 25
1. The teacher says we can’t use our books during a test.
2. The teacher says we don’t have to sit in a specific seat in class.  We can sit wherever we want.
3. We can’t talk to each other during a test.  It’s not permitted.
4. We don’t have to type our compositions.  We can write them by hand.
5. We shouldn’t speak our native language in class.  It’s not a good idea.
6. We don’t have to come back after the final exam, but we can in order to pick up our tests.
7. Parents often tell children, “You shouldn’t talk to strangers.”
8. Parents don’t have to send their kids to public schools.  They can send them to private schools.
9. Teachers don’t have to teach summer school if they don’t want to.
10.  English teachers shouldn’t talk fast to foreign students.
11.  A driver who is involved in an accident must report it to the police.  He must not leave the scene of the accident.
12.  I’m warning you.  You’d better not spend so much time watching T.V.  You won’t have time to study.
13.  Drivers must not go through red lights.
14.  You shouldn’t make noise and disturb your neighbors.
15.  Most American students don’t have to study a foreign language in college.  They have a choice.
16.  I have a test tomorrow morning.  I’d better not stay out late tonight, or I won’t be alert in the morning.
17.  Some students don’t have to pay tuition because they have a scholarship.
18.  You may not bring food into the computer lab.  It’s against the rules.
19. You shouldn’t eat while driving.  Even though it’s permitted, it’s not a good idea.
20. You shouldn’t leave your cell phone on in class.  It might disturb the class.
21. Those students are talking in the library.  They should be quiet.  They are not supposed to talk in the library.

p. 165  Exercise 30
W:  What’s the tube of cream I saw in the bathroom?
H:  It’s HairFast.  It’s supposed to grow a lot of hair on my head quickly.
W:  How often are you supposed to use it?
H:  I’m supposed to use it three times a day.
W:  How much does it cost?
H:  It’s about $20 for each tube.
W: Twenty dollars? How long does a tube last?
H:  One tube is supposed to last for a week.
W: Just a week? How long will it take you to grow hair?
H:  It’s supposed to take about six months before I start to see results.
W:  Do you know how much money that’s going to cost us?
H:  I know it’s expensive, but just imagine how much better I’ll look with hair.
W: You know we want to buy a new house.  We’re supposed to be putting our extra money into our house fund.  But you’re wasting it on a product that may – or may not – bring results.
H:  What about all the money you spend on skin products?  All those silly creams that are supposed to make you look younger?
W:  Well, I want to look young and beautiful.
H:  Do you really think those products work?
W:  This expensive cream I bought is supposed to reduce/eliminate/remove wrinkles around my eyes.
H:  You’ll always be beautiful to me.  I have an idea.  Why don’t you forget about the creams and I’ll forget about the hair product.  We can save our money, buy a house, and just get old together – in our new home.

p. 156 negative modals
must not – something is prohibited
be not supposed to – reminder of a rule
can’t/may not – not permitted
shouldn’t – bad idea
had better not – warning
don’t have to – not necessary
Exercise 25 – p. 159 small groups

p. 161 Making suggestions
can/could
Ex:  How can I protect myself

p. 164 – Expectations with Be Supposed to
ex:  This diet pill is supposed to make us thinner.
Ex:  He is supposed to come home at 9pm.

p. 168 Must has different meanings
must – necessity
must – conclusion  ex:  She must be lonely.  She must not read the letters carefully.
must – estimate    ex:  She must be about 80 years old.

P. 175 – Exercise 36

A:  I received a letter about a sweepstakes.  I think I am supposed to buy magazines in order to enter the contest.
B:  You’re wrong.  You don’t have to buy anything.
A:  But if I buy something, that may increase my chances of winning.
B:  That’s not true.  I’ve read several articles on the Internet about sweepstakes and scams recently.
A:  Then you must know a lot about this topic.
B:  I think I do.  But you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the Internet either.
A:  You should use common sense.  If an ad tells you that you are already a winner, you shouldn’t believe it.
A:  But if a letter tells me I’ve won a million dollars, I’d be crazy not to look into it further.
B:  You’d be crazy if you did.  Do you think someone is going to give you a million dollars for nothing?
A:  No, but…
B:  If you want to get rich, you should work hard and save your money.
A:  But it could take years to get rich that way.
B:  That’s the only way.  Yes, you could enter sweepstakes, but you probably won’t win.
A:  I get offers by e-mail too.  There are offers for products that are supposed to make me lose 20 pounds.
B:  If you want to lose weight, you ought to eat a healthy diet and exercise every day.
A:  But that takes time.  It could take months before I see a difference.
B:  That’s right.  But it’s the only way.  All those ads tell you that problems can be fixed with easy solutions.  But life isn’t like that. 
A:  You must think I’m stupid for believing all these things I see and hear.
B:  I don’t think you’re stupid.  Some companies are very clever about getting your interest.  For example, infomercials often have celebrities talking about a product.  You are expected to trust the celebrity and believe what he or she says is true.
A:  The government should do something to stop these ads from appearing in our e-mail, in our postal mailboxes, and on TV.
B:  I agree.  There are already laws telling companies what they are allowed/permitted to do or not.  But some companies don’t do what they are supposed to do.  It’s up to you to be informed, use your common sense, and protect yourself.
A:  Well, thanks for your advice.


MODALS REVIEW
Possibility – May, Might, Could
Necessity and Urgency – Must, Have to, Have Got to
Obligation – Must, Be Supposed to
Advice – Should, Ought to, Had Better
Also

Percentages:
Will          100%
Should      75%
May           50%
Might        25%



Movie “The Recruit” – we are watching 10 minutes a day in class with subtitles.




more charts




















No comments:

Post a Comment