Tuesday, July 21, 2015

July 21, 2015 - Past Modals - Lesson 5; Day 2 of "The Recruit"

p. 190 – Exercise 1
A:  Did you read the story about Lincoln before class?
B:  No.  I didn’t have time.
A:  You should have read it.  Our lesson depends on it.  It’s about Lincoln.
B:  Who’s Lincoln?
A:  What do you mean, “Who’s Lincoln?”  Abraham Lincoln.  You must have heard of him.  He was one of the most well-known presidents of the U.S.
B:  Oh.  Abraham Lincoln.  Of course I’ve heard of him.  I thought you said “Leeko.”
A:  Oh.  I must have pronounced his name wrong.  Sorry.  Anyways, he gave one of the greatest speeches of any American president.  But after the speech, he said, “I should have read it more carefully.”
B:  He must have been writing it very fast.
A:  No.  I don’t think he wrote it fast.  I think he chose his words very carefully.  The people in the audience might have expected a longer speech.  But it was a perfect speech, and he was a great president.
B:  If he was such a good president, he must have been well-liked.
A:  He was well-liked by many in the North, but most Southerners didn’t like him because they wanted slavery to continue.
p. 192 Exercise 2
1.  He could have preferred an earlier class.
2.  He might have wanted to be in his friend’s class.
3.  The class may have been too hard for him.
4.  He could have gotten sick.
5.  He may not have liked the teacher.
6.  He might have found a full-time job.
7.  He could have had a lot of problems at home.
8.  He might have left town.




p. 192 Exercise 3
1.  A:  I was trying to call your house last night, but you didn’t answer.
     B: What time did you call?
     A:  After 8 p.m.
     B: Let’s see.  Where was I?  I might have been at the library at that time.
     A:  Bit I tried calling your cell phone too.
     B:  I may have turned it off.  I usually turn it off when I’m at the library.  Why didn’t you leave a message?
     A:  I did leave a message.
     B:  Oh.  I might have deleted it by mistake.
     A:  You deleted my message?
     B:  Sorry.

2.  A:  Have you seen my keys?
     B:  You’re always losing your keys.  You may have left them in your pocket.
     A:  No, they’re not there.  I already looked.
     B:  Well, you could have dropped them as you were getting out of the car.
     A:  When I drop keys, I can hear them hit the ground, so I’m sure that’s not it.
     B:  Well, you might have left them in the door when you came in last night.
     A: Oh, you’re right!  They’re in the door.  Thanks.
3. A:  I’m so upset.  I left my dictionary in class yesterday.  Now, I’ll have to buy a new one.
    B:  Why don’t you ask the teacher?  She might have picked it up. 
    A:  I already did.  She didn’t pick it up.
    B:  Why don’t you go to the “lost and found”?  Somebody may have found it and returned it there.
    A:  Where’s the “lost and found”?
    B:  In front of the cafeteria.
4. A:  I applied for a job three weeks ago, but so far I haven’t heard anything.  I probably didn’t do well on the interview.
    B: You don’t know that.  They might have interviewed hundreds of candidates for the job.  Anyway, why don’t you call and tell the company you’re still interested?
A:  But they could have hired someone else already.
B:  You won’t know if they hired someone else unless you ask.
5. A:  I asked my boss for a raise last week, and she said she’d get back to me.  But so far she hasn’t mentioned anything.
    B:  She might have forgotten about it.  I’m sure she has a lot on her mind and can easily forget something.  Why don’t you ask her again? 
    A:  I sent an e-mail to an old friend and I got a message saying it was undeliverable.
    B:  You might have written the address wrong.
    A:  No.  I checked.  I wrote it correctly.
    B:  Your friend may have closed his old account.

p. 200 Exercise 5
1.  I was so tired that I could have slept for 12 hours yesterday.
2.  I was so embarrassed when I made a mistake in my speech that I could have died of shame.
3.  She was so happy when she fell in love she could have walked on air.
4.  I was so happy when my counselor told me about my scholarship that I could have kissed him.
5.  The movie was so good I could have watched it again and again.
6.  Your cookies were so good that I could have eaten all of them.
7.  I enjoyed dancing so much last night that I could have danced all night.
8.  It was so hot yesterday that we could have fried an egg on the street.

p. 200 Exercise 6
1. 
A:  I heard you bought a condo.
B:  We did.
A:  Why didn’t you buy a house?  Was it too expensive?
B:  We could have bought a house, but we don’t have enough time to take care of things.  So we thought a condo would be better.  There’s someone to take care of the grass in the summer and the snow in the winter.

2. 
A:  What do you do for a living?
B:  I’m a waiter, but I could have been a famous actor.  Everyone says I’ve got a lot of talent.  And my wife could have had a career in modeling.  She’s so beautiful.
A:  It’s not too late to follow your dreams.
B:  We have small kids to support.  So I think my acting dreams and her modeling dreams are over.
3.
A:  Do you want to see our new apartment?  We moved last Saturday.
B:  Why did you move?  You had a lovely apartment.  I’m surprised you didn’t stay there.
A:  We could have lived there.  The rent wasn’t too bad and the landlord was nice.  But it was far from school and work.
B:  Who helped you move?
A: We did it all ourselves.
B:  Why didn’t you let me know?  I could have helped you.
A:  We didn’t want to bother our friends.
B:  What are friends for?
A:  Anyway, you have a small car.  We needed to rent a van.
B:  I could have borrowed my sister’s van.  She always lets me borrow it if I have to move stuff.
A:  We appreciate your kindness, but everything worked out fine.
4.
A:  I can’t believe you tried to fix the ceiling light without shutting off the electricity first.  You could have hurt/killed/electrocuted yourself.
B:  But I didn’t.  I’m still alive and the light is fixed.
A:  You shouldn’t take chances.  And you got up on that tall ladder when you were home alone.  You could have fallen, and no one would have been here to help you.
B:  But I didn’t fall.  You worry too much.  Everything’s okay.  The light is fixed, and I didn’t break a leg.
5.
I bought stocks and sold them a few months later.  Now they’re worth four times as much as what I sold them for.  I could have made a lot of money.
B:  You never know with the stock market.  You could have lost a lot of money too.
6.
A:  Sorry I’m so late.
B:  What happened?
A:  I had to take three buses to get to a job interview in the suburbs.  It took me almost two hours to get there.
B:  Why didn’t you tell me?  I could have driven you there in my car.
A:  I didn’t want to bother you.
B:  You wasted a whole day today.  You could have been home hours ago.
A:  That’s not a problem.  I’m home now.  And I did my homework while I was on the bus on the way there.  On the way home, I slept most of the way.  It’s a good thing the person sitting next to me woke me up.  I could have missed my bus stop.

p. 205 Exercise 8
A:  I didn’t study for the last test, and I failed it.
B:  You should have studied.
A:  I know, but there was a great party the night before, and I went with my friends.
B:  You shouldn’t have gone to a party the night before a test.
1.
A:  I’m so hungry.  I didn’t have time to eat breakfast this morning.
B:  You should have eaten something before class.
A:  I know, but I was late.
B:  What time did you get up?
A:  About 45 minutes before class.
B:  You should have gotten up earlier.  By the way, what topic did you use for your composition?
A: Oh, my gosh! I forgot about the composition.
B:  You should have written down the assignment.
A: You’re right.  I’ll get a calendar, and from now on, I’ll write down all my assignments.
2.
A:  Hi. I’m at the supermarket now.  Did you ask me to buy cereal?
B:  Yes.  Don’t you remember?  You should have brought the list.
A:  I know, but I thought I’d remember everything, so I didn’t take the list.
B: This is what we need: a gallon of milk, a bag of dog food, and a watermelon.
A:  Those things are heavy.  How do you expect me to carry all of those things home?
B:  In the car, of course.
A:  Oh.  I came here by bike. I should have taken the car.
3.
A:  How was your trip during spring break?
B:  It was great.  You should have come/gone with us.
A:  I wanted to go with you, but I didn’t have enough money.
B:  You should have saved your money instead of spending it eating out in restaurants all the time.
A:  You’re right.  And I shouldn’t have bought so many CDs.
B:  Did you get my postcard?
A:  No.  When did you send it?
B:  Over two weeks ago.  I should have taken it to the post office instead of putting it in the hotel mailbox.
4.
H:  I washed my blue pants with my new white shirt and now my shirt looks blue.
W:  You should have separated the clothes by color before putting them in the washing machine.  I always separate mine.
H:  I should have given my clothes to you to wash.
W:  I may be your wife, but I’m not your maid. So don’t give me your dirty clothes.
5.
W:  This is a terrible trip. Why did you suggest going to the mountains?
        We should have gone to the coast. It’s too cold here. I don’t like cold weather.
H:    You should have told me that before we left.
W:   I did tell you that, but you didn’t pay attention.  We didn’t take jackets. We should have brought our jackets.
H:    We can go buy some.
W:   I don’t want to spend money on jackets when we’ve got perfectly good ones at home.
H:    Maybe we should have stayed home instead of taking a trip.
6.
S:  Can you tell me my midterm grade?
T:  Didn’t you receive it by mail?
S:  No.  I moved right after the semester began.
T:  You should have done/made/reported a change of address in the school office when you moved.
S:  I’ll report it today.  So can you tell me my grade?
T:  It’s a C.
S:  Why a C?  I got Bs and As on the tests.
T:  But you didn’t do all your homework.  You should have done/completed/finished all your homework.
S:  But I had to work full-time.
T:  You should have thought about that before you registered for four courses.
S:  You’re right.  I didn’t think much about homework when I registered.
7.
A:  I took a young woman from class out for dinner last week, but I didn’t have enough money.
B:  You should have taken enough money with you.
A:  I took $30 with me.  I thought we were going to go to a fast-food place, but she chose a fancy restaurant.
B:  You should have chosen/picked/selected the restaurant.
A:  I realized that later.  She ordered appetizers, then dinner, then dessert and coffee.  I thought she would pay for part of the dinner.  But when the bill came, she just sat there.
B:  You should have told her that you wanted to split the bill.
A:  I couldn’t tell her that.  I was trying to impress her.
B:  So what did you do?
A:  I went to the bathroom and called my brother on my cell phone.  He rushed over to the restaurant and brought me some money.  He pretended that our meeting there was an accident.
B:  You should have told her the truth.  Lying to her is no way to start a relationship.
A:  I don’t think I’m going to go out with her again.
8.
A:  What happened to your car?
B:  I had an accident. Someone hit me from behind.
A:  What did the police say?
B:  We didn’t call the police.  The other driver gave me his phone number and told me he would pay for the damage.  But when I called, it was a disconnected number.
A:  You should have called the police.
B:  And I should have taken/written the information from his driver’s license.
A:  You mean you didn’t even take information from his driver’s license?
B: No.  He looked honest.
A:  You should have taken/written information about his insurance too.
B:  I know.  It’s too late to get it now.




Past Modals




Complete the sentences using the words listed in the box below, then click the "Check" button to check your answers. Don't forget to capitalize when necessary. Some gaps may have more than one correct answer.

can     could     have to     must     might     should

Top of Form

1.   Ted's flight from Amsterdam took more than 11 hours. He  be exhausted after such a long flight. He  prefer to stay in tonight and get some rest.

2. If you want to get a better feeling for how the city is laid out, you  walk downtown and explore the waterfront.

3. Hiking the trail to the peak  be dangerous if you are not well prepared for dramatic weather changes. You  research the route a little more before you attempt the ascent.

4. When you have a small child in the house, you  leave small objects lying around. Such objects  be swallowed, causing serious injury or even death.

5. Dave:  you hold your breath for more than a minute?
Nathan: No, I can't.
6. Jenny's engagement ring is enormous! It  have cost a fortune.

7. Please make sure to water my plants while I am gone. If they don't get enough water, they  die.

8. I  speak Arabic fluently when I was a child and we lived in Egypt. But after we moved back to Canada, I had very little exposure to the language and forgot almost everything I knew as a child. Now, I  just say a few things in the language.

9. The book is optional. My professor said we  read it if we needed extra credit. But we  read it if we don't want to.
10. Leo: Where is the spatula? It  be in this drawer but it's not here.
Nancy: I just did a load of dishes last night and they're still in the dish washer. It  be in there. That's the only other place it  be.

11. You 
 take your umbrella along with you today. The weatherman on the news said there's a storm north of here and it  rain later on this afternoon.

12.  we pull over at the next rest stop? I really  use the bathroom and I don't know if I  hold it until we get to Chicago.

13. Oh no! Frank's wallet is lying on the coffee table. He  have left it here last night.

14. Ned:  I borrow your lighter for a minute?
Stephen: Sure, no problem. Actually, you  keep it if you want to. I've given up smoking.

15. I  believe she said that to Megan! She  insulted her cooking in front of everyone at the party last night. She  have just said she was full or had some salad if she didn't like the meal.

16. Do you  chew with your mouth open like that? Geez, it's making me sick watching you eat that piece of pizza.

17. Mrs. Scarlett's body was found in the lounge just moments ago, and it's still warm! Nobody has left the mansion this evening, so the killer  be someone in this room. It  be any one of us!!!


2.  
18. Ted: I don't know why Denise starting crying when I mentioned the wedding.
Pamela: It  have been what you said about her brother. Or, perhaps she is just nervous. After all, the big day is tomorrow.

19. Do you  always say the first thing that pops into your head?  you think once in awhile before you speak?

20. I was reading the book last night before I went to bed. I never took it out of this room. It  be lying around here somewhere. Where  it be?  .


Movie “The Recruit” – we are watching 10 minutes a day in class with subtitles.


The Recruit
Characters:
James played by Collin Farrell – hacker/bartender
Walter played by Al Pacino – CIA agent
In the opening scene, James is showing a
group of people his hacking skills.  One of
his potential clients wants him to hack into
the Sony booth to put the company logo there.
Walter is watching this interaction from a distance.
Next, we see James in a bar as a bartender.
Walter is at the bar and starts up a conversation
with James.  He wants James to join the CIA, like his
father before him.  Once Walter starts walking
Out of the bar, James follows him to find out more.
Walter gives James a deadline to respond.
The next day, James decides to call Walter to
find out more about the opportunity.............
......to be continued.....
 
Bottom of Form

































   
   





No comments:

Post a Comment