Monday, July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015 - Class activities - present perfect, present continuous. Lesson 2 - Passive Voice. All tenses review

Review from class plus some helpful links:


Make the present perfect continuous, “wh” or “yes/no” questions.
1.     (she/run) much recently?
Answer:  Has she been running much recently?
Yes, she has.
She has been running a lot recently.
She’s been running
2.    (it/rains)?
Answer:  Has it been raining?
No, it hasn’t.
It has been raining.
It’s been raining.
3.    (he/work) today?
Answer: Has he been working today?
4.    (I/talk) a lot?
Answer: Have I been talking a lot?
5.    (we/eat) too much?
Answer: Have we been eating too much?
6.    (they/live) for a long time?
Answer: Have they been living for a long time?
7.    (Julia/work) in this company for more than five years?
Answer: Has Julia/she been working in this company for more than five years?
To be
He is = He’s
To have
He has = He’s
*****************
We use the Present Perfect to say that an action happened at an unspecified time before now. The exact time is not important.
You CANNOT use the Present Perfect with specific time expressions such as: yesterday, one year ago, last week, when I was a child, when I lived in Japan, at that moment, that day, one day, etc.
We CAN use the Present Perfect with unspecific expressions such as: ever, never, once, many times, several times, before, so far, already, yet, etc.
Negative present perfect
1.    We have not gone to Paris.
We haven’t gone to Paris.
2.    She hasn’t seen “The Lord of The Rings”
3.    He hasn’t met my mother.
4.    They haven’t visited St. Paul’s.
5.    I haven’t known him for three months.
6.    You haven’t studied French for ten years.
7.    They haven’t been in London for six months.
8.    He hasn’t hurt his leg.
9.    She hasn’t left her phone in the taxi.
10.We haven’t lost our tickets.
11.She hasn’t made dinner.
12. They haven’t arrived yet.
13.Lucy hasn’t done her homework.
She hasn’t done her homework.

Present Perfect vs. Present Perfect Continuous


New Lesson – Lesson 2 – Passive voice

p. 60
Passive Voice vs. Active Voice

I cleaned the room. (active)
The room was cleaned. (passive)
She finished the housework. (active)
The housework was finished by her. (passive)
She has finished the housework. (active)
The housework has been finished. (passive)
  
Simple past
I ate an apple. (active)
The apple was eaten. (passive)

Simple present
I drink my milk. (active)
The milk is drunk. (passive)

Present perfect
I have eaten the sandwich. (active)
The sandwich has been eaten. (passive)
*************************

More practice with the passive voice:

The awards ceremony is seen by millions of people. (Passive)
Millions of people see the awards ceremony. (Active)

Kate Winslet was given the best actress award in 2009. (Passive)
The best actress award was given to Kate Winslet in 2009.

When was sound added to movies?
It was added in 1927.

Rule for Passive Voice for All Tenses

Active:
Subject/Verb/Complement

Passive
Object/Verb/Subject

Present perfect
He has succeeded. (Active)
Present perfect continuous
He has been succeeding. (Active)
Simple past
He succeeded. (Active)
Simple present
He (usually) succeeds.
He created a successful project.  (Active)
A successful project was created by him.

Simple Present
I study for the exam.
The exam is studied for.

Present Continuous
We are studying English. (Active)
English is being studied.  (Passive) 

Future
We will visit you. (Active)
You will be visited. (Passive) 

Simple past
He ran a mile. (Active)
A mile was run by him. (Passive) 

                        Past Continuous
                        They were running a mile. (Active)
                        A mile was being run by them. (Passive) 
                        He was eating fish. (Active)
                        Fish was being eaten by him. (Passive) 

                        Present Perfect

            I have worked on the Town And Country Hotel project. (Active)
            The Town and Country Hotel project has been worked on by me.     (Passive) 

Modal
You can cook fish on a grill. (Active)
Fish can be cooked on a grill. (Passive) 

p. 61
Make an active and passive sentence for each
Simple present
I drink a cup of coffee. (Active)
I don’t drink a cup of coffee (every day). (Active)
Do you drink a cup of coffee (in the morning)?
A cup of coffee is drunk by me.
A cup of coffee is not drunk by me.
Is a cup of coffee drunk by you?
I am present in the class. (Active)
I am not present in class. (Active)
Are you present in the class?
Present continuous
I am drinking a cup of coffee. (Active)
I’m not drinking a cup of coffee. (Active)
Are you drinking a cup of coffee?
A cup of coffee is being drunk by me.
A cup of coffee isn’t being drunk by me.
Is a cup of coffee being drunk by you?
Future
I will drink a cup of coffee. (Active)
I will not drink a cup of coffee.  (won’t) (Active)
Will you drink a cup of coffee?
A cup of coffee will be drunk by me.
A cup of coffee won’t be drunk by me.
Will a cup of coffee be drunk by you?
Simple Past
I drank a cup of coffee yesterday. (Active)
I didn’t drink a cup of coffee yesterday. (Active)
Did you drink a cup of coffee yesterday?
A cup of coffee was drunk by me yesterday.
A cup of coffee wasn’t drunk by me yesterday.
Was a cup of coffee drunk by you yesterday?
Past Continuous
I was drinking a cup of coffee. (Active)
I wasn’t drinking a cup of coffee. (Active)
Were you  drinking a cup of coffee?
A cup of coffee was being drunk by me.
A cup of coffee wasn’t being drunk by me.
Was a cup of coffee being drunk by you?
Present Perfect
I have drunk a cup of coffee. (Active)
I haven’t drunk a cup of coffee. (Active)
Have you drunk a cup of coffee?
A cup of coffee has been drunk.
A cup of coffee hasn’t been drunk.
Has a cup of coffee been drunk?
Modal
            I can drink a cup of coffee. (Active)
            I  can’t (cannot) drink a cup of coffee. (Active)
            Can you drink a cup of coffee?
            A cup of coffee can be drunk by me.
            A cup of coffee can’t be drunk by me.
            Can a cup of coffee be drunk by you?


Fix the error
My watch didn’t made in Japan.
My watch wasn’t made in Japan. (correct answer)
When did the movie filmed?
When was the movie filmed? (correct answer)
The accident was happened at 10:30pm.
The accident happened at 10:30pm.  (simple past) (correct answer)
Her grandfather was died three years ago.
Her grandfather died three years ago.  (simple past) (correct answer)
The popcorn was eating by the child.
The popcorn was being eaten by the child. (correct answer)
The popcorn was eaten by the child.
The movie was seen by everyone in my family. (correct answer)
Tom Sawyer was written for Mark Twain.
Tom Sawyer was written by Mark Twain.  (correct answer)
The salad was prepared by she too.
The salad was prepared by her too. (correct answer)
Were you get fired from your job?
Did you get fired from your job? (simple past) (correct answer)
The floor was wash by the janitor.
The floor was washed by the janitor. (correct answer)
My sister hasn’t married. (correct answer)
My sister isn’t married. (correct answer)
What else was he directed?
What else did he direct? (correct answer)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment