Wednesday, July 22, 2015

July 22, 2015 - Review, Past Modals, Day 3 of "The Recruit"

Review and Continuation of Lesson 5 – Past Modals

Passive review – present simple
Turn these simple present active sentences into
simple present passive sentences.
1) Somebody cleans the office every day.
The office is cleaned every day.




2) Somebody sends emails.
Emails are sent.




3) Somebody cuts the grass.
The grass is cut.




4) Somebody prefers chocolate.
Chocolate is preferred.




5) Somebody often steals cars.
Cars are often stolen.


Turn these simple past active sentences into simple past passive sentences.

1) Somebody lost the letter.
The letter was lost.

2) Somebody found the key.
The key was found.
3) Somebody made mistakes.
Mistakes were made.
4) Somebody loved that woman.
That woman was loved.
5) Somebody cleaned the rooms.
The rooms were cleaned.

Present Tenses
Choose the most appropriate answer.  
Then, write what type of present tense it is
(ex: simple present, present continuous, etc)
Top of Form
1.  She can't come to the phone now because she
 ____is studying____ for tomorrow's test. 
Present continuous.
 studies is studying has studied has been studying

2.  They must be at the sports ground now.
They usually_play_ basketball on Fridays. 
Simple present
play are playing have played have been playing

3.  I_have finished_ my work already.
I'm ready to go for a walk with you.
Present perfect
 finish am finishing have finished have been finishing
4.  I __am cooking__breakfast right now.
Can you call a little later?
Present continuous
cook am cooking have cooked have been cooking

5.  I _haven’t read__this book.
Can I borrow it for a week or so? 
Present perfect
don't read am not reading haven't read haven't been reading

6.  Maria is good at languages.
She _speaks_French, Spanish and German.
Simple present
speaks is speaking has spoken has been speaking

7.  So far, he _has written__ five stories for children. 
Present perfect
writes is writing has written

8.  We __have been waiting_for their answer for two
 months already. 
Present perfect continuous
wait are waiting have been waiting



Continue past modals review

Should have
I should have learned English 5 years ago.
I should’ve

May have
He may have eaten the pizza before I got there.
He may have been eating pizza at 7pm last night.

Could have
She could have treated him better.
She could have been treating him better.

Must have
Animals must have raised him.
Animals must have been raising him.

Passive
Might have been
There might have been a war had the two sides not made peace.

Could have been
There could have been more water available if we had conserved.

Should have been
There should have been more money in the bank.

p. 209
Be Supposed to (past)
I am supposed to study hard for this exam.
I was supposed to study hard for this exam.

p. 210 Truman story – read this

p. 211
Must have (conclusion)  v. had to  (necessity)
Based on the polls, he must have won.
Truman had to travel by train to meet people

p. 212  Ex. 10
A:  The 2000 election between Al Gore, the Democratic candidate, and George W. Bush, the Republican candidate, was so strange.
B:  It was?
A:  Don’t you remember?  The election was close and they had to count the votes again to see who won.  It took them five weeks to figure out who won the election.
B:  Bush and Gore must have been nervous the whole time, waiting to find out the results.
A:  Yes, they probably were.  And there were so many problems with the election that they had to go to the Supreme Court to decide who won.
B:  Did you vote in that election?
A: Of course.
B:  You always vote for a Democrat, so you must have voted for Gore.
A:  Yes, I did.
B:  You must have been very disappointed when they finally announced that Gore lost.
A:  Yes, I was.  What about you?  Who did you vote for?
B:  I had to work overtime that day so I didn’t vote.
A:  That’s no excuse for not voting.  Besides, your boss is required to give you time off to vote.
B:  One person’s vote doesn’t matter much anyway.
A:  It did in 2000.  Every vote counted.  The election was on November 7 and we had to wait until December 13 to find out who won the election because it was such a close race.

p. 213 Exercise 11
1.   When I was young, I could always count on my parents.
2.  When I was younger, I could swim better than I can now.
3.  When I was younger, I couldn’t run as well as I can now.
4.  One of my goals was to join the navy.  I wasn’t able to achieve my goal.
5.  I could never understand why you left that job.
6.  When I didn’t know much English, I couldn’t speak the language very well.
7.  I couldn’t speak English a few years ago because I had just arrived.
8.  When I first came to the U.S., I wasn’t able to drive.

p. 214 Exercise 12
1.  When Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address, he could have given a long speech, but he decided to give a very short speech.
2.  My sister is a citizen and she could have voted in the last election, but she was sick that day.
3.  We could have seen the election results on TV, but we decided to listen to the news on the radio instead.
4.  She could have learned English in her country, but she decided to study French instead.
5.  I could have called my mom, but I sent her a text message instead to tell her I’d be home late.
6.  You could have done your homework on a computer, but I see you did it by hand.
7.  Why didn’t you tell me you were moving last Saturday? I’m sure you needed help.  I could have helped you.
8.  I could have taken the bus today, but the weather was nice so I decided to walk.
9.  I could have written/typed a quick e-mail to my grandmother but I decided to write her a long letter by hand.
10.  We could have eaten in a restaurant last weekend, but we saved money and ate at home.


p. 215 Exercise 13
A:  When I was a child, I saw President Kennedy.
B:  You couldn’t have seen him.  He died before you were born.
1.
A:  U.S. athletes won ten gold medals at the 1980 Olympics.
B:  They couldn’t have won.  The U.S. didn’t participate.

2. 
A:  We had an English test on December 25.
B:  You couldn’t have had a test on December 25.  The school was closed on Christmas Day.

3.
A:  President Kennedy ran for re-election in 1964.
B:  He couldn’t have run for re-election in 1964.  He died in 1963.

4. 
A:  George W. Bush ran for re-election in 2008. 
B:  You’re wrong.  He couldn’t have run because he had already been president for two terms, and that’s the limit.

5.
A:  Look at the big fish I caught yesterday.
B:  You couldn’t have caught that fish.  It has a price tag on it.  You must have bought it at the store.

6. 
A:  I got an A on my math test.
B:  That’s impossible.  The teacher said that the highest grade was a B+.  You couldn’t have gotten an A.

7.
A:  One student gave the teacher a perfect composition with no mistakes.
B:  The teacher thinks that the student couldn’t have written it by himself.  She thinks somebody must have helped him.

8.
A:  Somebody called me last night at midnight and didn’t leave a message.  Was it you?
B:  It couldn’t have been me.  I was sleeping at midnight.

9.
Teacher:  You failed the test.
Student:  What?  I couldn’t have failed the test.  I studied for hours!

10.
A:  I can’t find my house keys.
B:  Maybe you left them at work.
A:  I couldn’t have left them at work.  I used them to open the door and get into the house a few minutes ago.

11.
A:  Thanks for helping me move last Saturday.
B:  My pleasure.
A:  I couldn’t have moved/done it …without your help.

12.
A:  Hi.  Don’t you remember me?
B:  No, I’m sorry.
A:  We met in a math class last year.
B:  We couldn’t have met last year.  I just started school two weeks ago.

p. 217  Continuous form of Past Modals
must have been waiting
might have been sleeping
could have been doing
should have been driving


Modals review page 218 – some examples are not direct translations; some are practical applications of the modals.

Can
Ability – I can run fast
Past:  I could run fast (when I was younger).

         Possibility – I can take you to the airport.
         Past:  I could have taken you to the airport.

         Permission – Can I go?
         Past:  I already said that you could go.  So why didn’t            you go.

         Suggestion – On vacation, I can either travel or stay         home.
         Past:  On vacation, I could have either traveled or  
         stayed home.

         Acceptability – You can wear formal clothes to the
         party.
         Past:  You could have worn formal clothes to the
         party.

Must
         Legal Obligation – You must help your boss at the
         office.
         Past:  You had to help your boss at the office.

         Urgency – I must call 9-1-1.
         Past:  I had to call 9-1-1-.

  Strong Necessity –        I must take my children home.
                 Past:        I had to take my children home.
                                 I must call my mom because she is sick.

                 Past:        I had to call my mom because she was                                  sick.

Prohibition – You must not drive drunk.
             Past (approximate):     You shouldn’t have driven              home drunk.

Deduction/Conclusion – You must be tired because you didn’t sleep until midnight last night.
        
         You must have been tired this morning                      because you didn’t sleep until midnight last night.

Should
         Advice – You should stop talking.
         You should have stopped talking.

         Mistakes  –   You shouldn’t eat chocolate.
                  Past:     You shouldn’t have eaten chocolate.
                               You shouldn’t say that to your mother.
                  Past:     You shouldn’t have said that to your                                  mother.
        
May
         Permission – You may go home after the class.
                  Past:      I could have gone home.
        
         Possibility –   It may rain later today.
                  Past:      It may have rained yesterday.   
Ought to
         Advice – You ought to obey your parents.
                  Past:  You ought to have obeyed.

Have to
         Necessity –    I have to read this book for class.
                  Past:      I had to read this book….

         Lack of necessity – I don’t have to read this book for                                     class.
                  Past:        I didn’t have to….

Have got to
         Necessity –    I have (definitely) got to watch this
                               movie.
                  Past:        I had to watch the movie

Be Able to (can)
         Ability –          I am able to fix my car (by myself).
                  Past:        I was able to fix my car by myself.
        
Be allowed to/Be permitted to
         Permission –    We are allowed to text.
                  Past:        We were allowed to text.

                                 We are not allowed to scream.
                 Past:        We weren’t (were not) allowed to                                  scream.

Be Supposed to (like “have to” which is stronger)
                                  I am supposed to be in class at 9am.
                  Past:        I was supposed to be in class at 9am.

Had better
                                  I had better be in class by 9:30a.m at                                   least.
                  Past:        I should have been in class by 9:30am                                     yesterday.
        
“The Recruit” movie continued…
Yesterday we left off here….

Snapshot of scene:
James calls Walter from a payphone.  He decides to try out for the CIA.  He meets with a CIA agent who asks him some questions about his personality.  He then takes a test with a room full of other potential agents.  After the written exam, James and the group are taken by bus to another location.  Walter is about to address the group of recruits.   


No comments:

Post a Comment