Tuesday, July 7, 2015

July 7, 2015 - Passive Voice, Gerunds, Infinitives, Participles

July 7, 2015 Notes

Passive Voice worksheet

Last summer our house was painted by me.
Last summer, I painted our house. The job took about two weeks. First, the exterior was washed using warm water and a mild detergent. First, I washed the exterior using warm water and a mild detergent. Then all the chinks and pores in the walls were sealed with putty. Then, I sealed the chinks and pores in the wall with putty. After the putty had had a chance to dry, the exterior could be painted. After the putty had had a chance to dry, I could paint the exterior.  A latex paint was used because it is easy to apply and cleans up with water. I used a latex paint because it is easy to apply and cleans up with water.  A whole week was needed to finish this part of the job. I needed a whole week to finish this part of the job. I was very careful to apply the paint evenly because I did not want to have to apply two coats. A color was used that was very close to the original color. I used a color that was very close to the original color. Our house is a two-story house, which meant that a tall ladder was needed to do the second story.  Our house is a two-story house which meant that I needed a tall ladder to do the second story. The paint can had to be balanced on the top rung of the ladder while I worked. I had to balance the paint can on the top rung of the ladder while I worked. When the job was finished, a great deal of satisfaction was felt by me. When I finished the job, I felt a great deal of satisfaction.  I had to pat myself on the back. Even my dad said that a good job was done.   Even my dad said that I did a good job.


Passive Voice exercises

Passive vs. Active
Revising Passive Construction (group activity)

Passive practice tests

Rewrite in the passive voice

Past participles vs. present participles

Participles and Participial Phrases
 with paragraphs to read

Gerund worksheet/past participle worksheet
Gerunds, Infinitives, and Participle – write definitions

1. Gerund
Eating is what everyone needs.
Smoking is a bad habit.
2. Infinitive
I like to clean on the weekend.
He needs to drink water.
We need to study everyday.

3. Participle
My grandma has a lot of cooking recipes.
The dancing parrots are beautiful.
The talking dog is amazing.
The washed cars are shiny.
-ing
-ed
4. Gerund
I like talking.
Swimming is fun and good exercise.
Sleeping is one of my favorite things.
Hiking is my favorite sport.
5. Infinitive
I sent an email to inform him of the updates.
My brother likes to fish.
My husband needs to eat healthy food.
I usually like to hike every Saturday.
6. Gerund
Exercising is healthy for everyone.
I like reading.
Fishing is good exercise.

7. Participle
I have fishing tools.
Las Vegas is full of shining lights.
8. Participle
He has special running shoes.
Raising your child as a spoiled prince is wrong.
Steaming (hot) coffee is good for me.  
I have poor eating habits.
Travelling people have the most fun.

Rules
Gerund:  Verb plus –ing.  Acts like a noun.
Swimming is my hobby.
Infinitive:  to plus verb. Acts like either a noun, an adjective, or an adverb.
She likes to cook.(noun)
She called to tell her mom something. (adverb)
She had a present to buy/give. (adjective)
Participle:  verb plus –ing or –ed.  Acts like an adjective.
She got a shocking movie to watch last night.
-ed
-en
The broken window needs repair.
The closed shop will open tomorrow.
Can also be part of conjugation:
He is thinking. (present continuous)
I’ve been thinking about you. (present perfect continuous)
I have been working a lot.

Gerund worksheet/past participle worksheet

Difference between present and past participle worksheet
Present Participle (-ing) is used to describe something or someone.
"I watched an interesting TV about American history last night."
"This film is boring. Let's stop watching it."

Past Participle (-ed) is used to describe how people feel about something or someone.
"I'm interested in American history."
"I'm bored of my job. I want to find another one."


His music was boring.  The whole audience was bored.
I’m not interested in going anywhere in the U.S.A.  Have you gone anywhere interesting in the U.S.A.
The surprising call from my old friend made me happy.  I was happy and surprised.
I am depressed by the weather.  The depressing weather depressed me.
Soccer is an exciting sport.  I am so excited to play football. 
Taking care of a baby leaves me exhausted.  Babysitting is an exhausting job.

I was watching a horrifying movie last night.  I’m still horrified. 

*********
More helpful websites:






No comments:

Post a Comment