Wednesday, July 8, 2015

July 8, 2015 - All Tenses



All Tenses Sentence Structure
Tense
Subject
Auxiliary Verb
Main Verb
Objects
I/He
Work(s)
in the city.
Where does he work?
You
I
Are
am
studying
math at the moment.
What are you studying?
We
flew
to Germany last month.
Where did you fly last month?
They
were
watching
TV at three o'clock yesterday afternoon.
When were they watching T.V. yesterday?
What were they doing at three o’clock yesterday?
Mary
will
help
the students.
Will Mary help the students?
Yes, she will.
What will Mary do (tomorrow)?
Whom will Mary help?
You
He
I
are going to
is
am
move
to New York.
Where are you going to move?
What are you going to do?
Anna
will be
working
at three o'clock tomorrow.
When will Anna be working?
At what time will Anna be working tomorrow?
We
have
lived
in Seattle for a long time.
Where have you lived?
How long have you lived in Seattle?
He
has been
playing
golf for two hours.
How long has he been playing golf?
We
had
eaten
dinner before he arrived.
What had you done before he arrived?
She
had been
studying
for three hours when he arrived.
What had she been doing when he arrived?
How long had she been studying when he arrived?
I
will have
finished
the job by tomorrow.
When will you have finished the job?
When will the job have been finished?
We
will have been
working
for eleven hours by ten o'clock.
How long will you have been working by ten o’clock?




Tense
(Question Word)
Auxiliary Verb
Subject
Main Verb
(Objects)?
Present Simple
Where
do
you
live
?
Present Continuous
What
are
you
doing
with that?
Past Simple
When
did
he
move
to Chicago?
Past Continuous
What
were
they
doing
when he arrived?
Future with Will
How
will
she
travel
to Seattle?
Future with Going to
Where
are
you
going to stay
on vacation?
Future Continuous
What time
will
he
be giving
his presentation?
Present Perfect
How often
have
you
been
to France?
Present Perfect Continuous
How long
has
she
been playing
tennis?
Past Perfect
How much
had
she
completed
before it was due?
Past Perfect Continuous
How long
had
they
been sleeping
when he woke them up?
Future Perfect
How many books
will
they
have read
by the end of the month.
Future Perfect Continuous
How long
will
Tom
have been playing
golf by the end of the day?



All Tenses
tense
Affirmative/Negative/Question
Use
Signal Words
A: He speaks.
N: He does not speak.
Q: Does he speak?
§  action in the present taking place once, never or several times
§  facts
§  actions taking place one after another
§  action set by a timetable or schedule
always, every …, never, normally, often, seldom, sometimes, usually
if sentences type I (If Italk, …)
A: He is speaking.
N: He is not speaking.
Q: Is he speaking?
§  action taking place in the moment of speaking
§  action taking place only for a limited period of time
§  action arranged for the future
at the moment, just, just now, Listen!, Look!, now, right now
A: He spoke.
N: He did not speak.
Q: Did he speak?
§  action in the past taking place once, never or several times
§  actions taking place one after another
§  action taking place in the middle of another action
yesterday, 2 minutes ago, in 1990, the other day, last Friday
if sentence type II (If Italked, …)
A: He was speaking.
N: He was not speaking.
Q: Was he speaking?
§  action going on at a certain time in the past
§  actions taking place at the same time
§  action in the past that is interrupted by another action
when, while, as long as
A: He has spoken.
N: He has not spoken.
Q: Has he spoken?
§  putting emphasis on the result
§  action that is still going on
§  action that stopped recently
§  finished action that has an influence on the present
§  action that has taken place once, never or several times before the moment of speaking
already, ever, just, never, not yet, so far, till now, up to now
A: He has been speaking.
N: He has not been speaking.
Q: Has he been speaking?
§  putting emphasis on the course or duration (not the result)
§  action that recently stopped or is still going on
§  finished action that influenced the present
all day, for 4 years, since 1993, how long?, the whole week
A: He had spoken.
N: He had not spoken.
Q: Had he spoken?
§  action taking place before a certain time in the past
§  sometimes interchangeable with past perfect progressive
§  putting emphasis only on the fact (not the duration)
already, just, never, not yet, once, until that day
if sentence type III (If I had talked, …)
Continuous
A: He had been speaking.
N: He had not been speaking.
Q: Had he been speaking?
§  action taking place before a certain time in the past
§  sometimes interchangeable with past perfect simple
§  putting emphasis on the duration or course of an action
for, since, the whole day, all day
A: He will speak.
N: He will not speak.
Q: Will he speak?
§  action in the future that cannot be influenced
§  spontaneous decision
§  assumption with regard to the future
in a year, next …, tomorrow
If-Satz Typ I (If you ask her, shewill help you.)
assumption: I think, probably, perhaps
(going to)
A: He is going to speak.
N: He is not going to speak.
Q: Is he going to speak?
§  decision made for the future
§  conclusion with regard to the future
in one year, next week, tomorrow
A: He will be speaking.
N: He will not be speaking.
Q: Will he be speaking?
§  action that is going on at a certain time in the future
§  action that is sure to happen in the near future
in one year, next week, tomorrow
A: He will have spoken.
N: He will not have spoken.
Q: Will he have spoken?
§  action that will be finished at a certain time in the future
by Monday, in a week



7/8 In Class Activities – positive sentence, negative sentence, and question

1.  Simple Present
I always go to bed at 12 midnight.
I never go to bed at 12 midnight.
I go to bed at 12 midnight.
I don’t go to bed at 12 midnight.
Do you go to bed at 12 midnight?
What time do you go to bed?
My mom never speaks.
I always drive my car carefully.
I always study English in class.
The water boils at 90 degrees.

2.  Present Progressive/Continuous
Bill is swimming right now.
Bill is not swimming right now.
Is Bill swimming right now?
We are not studying English at the moment.
I’m eating my breakfast right now.

3.  Simple  Past
He visited his parents yesterday.
He didn’t visit his parents yesterday.
Did he visit his parents yesterday?
Yesterday, I had a serious headache so I slept all day.

4.  Past Progressive/Continuous
The baby was crying while his mother entered the room.
The baby was not crying while his mother entered the room.
Was the baby crying while his mother entered the room?
What was the baby doing while his mother entered the room?
I was studying English last night.

5.  Present Perfect Simple
Many American tourists have visited Cuba by now.
Many American tourists haven’t visited Cuba yet.
Have many American tourists visited Cuba yet?
How many American tourists have visited Cuba by now?
I have already eaten.

6.  Present Perfect Progressive/Continuous
The teacher has been teaching present perfect for one week.
The teacher hasn’t been teaching present perfect for one week.
Has the teacher been teaching present perfect for one week.
I have been learning English for one month.

7.  Past Perfect Simple
I had already left my country when the war started.  
I hadn’t already left my country when the war started.
Had you left your country when the war started?
When had you left your country?
I’d never missed a homework assignment.

8.  Past Perfect Progressive/Continuous
She had been driving for 30 minutes.
She hadn’t been driving for 30 minutes.
Had she been driving for 30 minutes.
He had been writing all day.

9.  Future 1 Simple
Adrian and Mattias will travel tomorrow.
Adrian and Mattias won’t travel tomorrow.
Will Adrian and Mattias travel tomorrow?
When will Adrian and Mattias travel?
I will drive a new car next year.

Activity – All Tenses Exercise
Fill the gaps with the correct tenses.
1.     (learn)  English for seven years now.
2.     But last year I (not / work)  hard enough for English, that's why my marks (not / be)  really that good then.
3.     As I (pass / want)  my English exam successfully next year, I (study)  harder this term.
4.     During my last summer holidays, my parents (send)  me on a language course to London.
5.     It (be)  great and I (think)  I (learn)  a lot.
6.     Before I (go)  to London, I (not / enjoy)  learning English.
7.     But while I (do)  the language course, I (meet)  lots of young people from all over the world.
8.     There I (notice)  how important it (be)  to speak foreign languages nowadays.
9.     Now I (have)  much more fun learning English than I (have)  before the course.
10. At the moment I (revise)  English grammar.
11. And I (begin / already)  to read the texts in my English textbooks again.
12. (think)  I (do)  one unit every week.
13. My exam (be)  on 15 May, so there (not / be)  any time to be lost.
14. If I (pass)  my exams successfully, I (start)  an apprenticeship in September.
15. And after my apprenticeship, maybe I (go)  back to London to work there for a while.
16. As you (see / can) , I (become)  a real London fan already.

Answers below:
  1. I have been learning (present perfect continuous)(i) English for seven years now.
  2. But last year I was not working (past continuous) hard enough for English, that's why my marks were not(i) really that good then.
  3. As I want to pass my English exam successfully next year, I am going to (future) study(i) harder
this term.
  1. During my last summer holidays, my parents sent (simple past)(i) me on a language course
to London.
  1. It was great and I think I have learned (present perfect)(i) a lot.
  2. Before I went to London, I had not enjoyed (past perfect)(i) learning English.
  3. But while I was doing the language course, I met (simple past)(i) lots of young people
 from all over
the world.
  1. There I noticed how important it is (simple present)(i) to speak foreign languages nowadays.
  2. Now I have much more fun learning English than I had (simple past)(i) before the course.
  3. At the moment I am revising (present continuous)(i) English grammar.
  4. And I have already begun (present perfect)(i) to read the texts in my English textbooks again.
  5. I think I will do (future)(i) one unit every week.
  6. My exam is on 15 May, so there is not (simple present)(i) any time to be lost.
  7. If I pass my exams successfully, I will start (future)(i) an apprenticeship in September.
  8. And after my apprenticeship, maybe I will go (future)(i) back to London to work there for a while.
  9. As you can see, I have become (present perfect)(i) a real London fan already. 




      






No comments:

Post a Comment