Monday, July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015 - Rules for present perfect, present perfect continuous, passive voice, and active voice

Rules and Examples
Structure p. 4
Subject                 Have                     Past Participle                   Complement
I                             have                     been                                    in the U.S. for a year.
We                        have                     written                                a job resume.
My parents          have                     given                                   me encouragement.
She                        has                        eaten                                   most of the cake.
To do:
-        Turn these into contractions
-        Make the sentences negative
-        Write the question




Examples:
My counselor has helped me with my resume.
My family has been helping me a lot.
I have applied for a job in New York.
I have been applying for jobs all over the U.S.
Have you used the Internet in your job search lately?
I’ve been using the Internet a lot lately.


Present Perfect Tense – connects the past to the present; the action is complete at the time of speaking.
Example:
I have played tennis.
I’ve studied 3 sections until now.
Present Perfect Continuous Tense –an action that started in the past and continues to the present (still in progress)
Example: 
I have been playing tennis.
I’ve been studying all morning.
To do:  Use the other pronouns; use contractions; use negative
Sometimes, you can use either one.
Always and never only go with present perfect, not present perfect continuous

Name the tense for the examples below:
I usually come to this city every summer. __________________
I came to this city on January 15, 2015. ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­___________________
*I have been in this city since January 15, 2015. ________________
*I have been living in this city since January 15, 2015. _________________
* (in the above, the meanings are similar)




Present perfect shows an activity has been ongoing or in progress from a time in the near past to the present.
Examples:
I have been getting a lot of sleep recently.  (continuing to get a lot of sleep)
I have been getting together with my friends lately. (continuing to get together with my friends)
My eyesight has been getting worse. (continuing to get worse)



Try this exercise:





Examples:
I have sent out 100 resumes so far.
I have made dozens of phone calls.
Have you had any answers to your letters?
Last week, I had six interviews.
Have you bought your textbook yet?
Have you already bought your textbook?
No, I haven’t bought it yet.
Have you seen your parents recently?
No, I haven’t (seen them lately).
Have you gotten a letter from you parents lately?
No, I haven’t (gotten a letter from my parents lately).
Yes, I got one yesterday. (This answer is in the simple past tense.)
Have you seen any good movies lately?
Yes, I saw one yesterday. (Simple past response.)
Try this exercise



p. 49 Summary
Lesson 2 – see page 61 – different tenses
p. 60 story
The Passive Voice

































































No comments:

Post a Comment